Tuesday, June 9, 2009

(Q&A) What is a Program Described File?

(From: Lucia)

Question:
what's the the programe description file in the rpg?what is it used for?how can i create it to be a physical file in the program?can you give me a example?

Answer:
Program Described Files
* like "flat" files
* contain only a record name and record length
* have no field information
* programmer subdivides the record inside the program
this is tedious and prone to error
* used to convert old files to AS/400 DB files
* used to send AS/400 data to another system which is not as smart as the AS/400

Sample:
In F Specs you have to define a file like this one;
FZPPFLE IPE F 71 DISK

ZPPFLE will have a total field length of 71. You need to define subfields in I Specs;
IZPPFLE NS 99
I 1 20 ZITEM
I 21 28 ZPPADT
I 29 392ZPPLPA
I 40 47 ZPPBDT
I 48 71 ZPPNAR

4 comments:

  1. sorry,i can't get it ,if i want to create it to be a physical file ,so it should be a output file ,right ?should i use o specs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it depends on the intended function, either you use it as an input or output. for output, you need to use O specs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I do not agree with the previous commentator - not so simple

    ReplyDelete